Monday 8 February 2016

Let’s look at LIPS

Lips have been much on my mind this month and as we enter February I thought it would be a great time to blog about them. Looking after your lips and using great products on them, can really enhance how you feel. A bit of lippy and away you go! Lipstick is a great pick me up and a relatively affordable treat. I always feel fully made up, even if I haven’t done more than a 5 minute face, with a pop of colour on my lips.

Last month I had the opportunity to work with David Miller Photography on a photoshoot entitled Peer Pressure and featured some of the finalists of Miss North Yorkshire. 12 beautiful faces to play with – oooh I had fun. I did notice that some of the models were suffering from winter lips. When I asked what products they were using, the common reply was a product that was Vaseline based.

Anyone who has been reading my newsletters, blog, Facebook or website will know that ingredients, such as a petrochemical based ingredient like Vaseline are a big no-no for healthy skin.

Also, we’re in winter time. Winter can play havoc with the skin. Lips don’t have oil glands. Also, unlike the skin on the rest of the body, lip tissue has no thick, protective outer layer, either. They are also constantly moisturized by saliva, then dried by breathing, which has an evaporative effect.

I stock Pinks Boutique Organic Skincare in the salon, here’s what they have to say about Petrochemicals;

“Petroleum-paraffinum liquidum, mineral oils, petroleum oils.  These are some of the cheap base products in nearly every non-organic cleanser, body lotion or moisturiser [and many other things]. Much like wrapping your skin in cling film, these chemicals block pores and interfere with the skin’s ability to eliminate toxins. They can slow down skin function and cell development resulting in premature ageing.” (www.pinksboutique.com)

Take a look at your lip balm, lipsticks or lip glosses. If they contain any of the listed petrochemicals, then they are drying out your lips and when you add in the effects of winter – no wonder these models were experiencing dry lips.

So what can we do;

I recently had a cold and after a couple of days, my normal soft, pouty lips were cracked and painful. I used my favourite product, Jane Iredale Lip Drink all over my lips and top lip area. Within 2 days the pain and cracking had diminished and by day 3 I was well on the way to being back to normal.

As a little extra during facials, I include a lip exfoliation and lip plumping moisturiser with the Jane Iredale Sugar/Butter £19.95.
Lip Drink costs £12.00. Not cheap, but it lasts for ages, has an SPF 15 in it and comes in 3 shades – sheer, nude and pale berry.

Neal’s Yard also do two products – Bee Lovely Lip Balm £6.50 which comes in a handy tin and Shea Butter and Rosehip Lip Balm £7.00 and comes in a lipstick bullet.

If your lips are in great condition, then your lipstick will stay on longer, look smoother and of course you’ll have soft kissable lips.

Next blog: The history of lipstick and lipsticks for healthy lips

No comments:

Post a Comment